The saying that “the best things in life are free” has much truth to it and London is no exception. This global hub is a cornucopia of activity options and many of the best ones cost nothing at all.
Here is but a tiny snippet of the London activities that will thrill your mind but not impact on your hip pocket...
- See the London Stone at 111 Canon Street. It was the Roman stone from which all distances from London were measured.
- Touch the Roman Wall, traces of which remain. This was the original fortification when London was under Roman rule in ancient times. Large sections remain around the Museum of London.
- Visit the Horniman Museum in South London’s Forest Hill for gardens, an aquarium, and various galleries. Great for families.
- The Wellcome Museum in Euston Road displays medical artifacts and curiosities.
- Play in Coram’s Fields, a unique seven acre playground park which requires child accompaniment for entry – no adult can enter without a child. It is located between Holburn and King’s Cross.
- Columbia Road Flower Market is a feast for the senses, especially if you come early. Open every Sunday between 8am and 3pm, in the East End between Shoreditch and Brick Lane, it is a colourful haven of trees, plants, and flowers. It is surrounded by pubs, delis, antique stores, small galleries and cafes.
- St James’s Park – adjacent to Buckingham Palace, St James’s Park is an oasis in the heart of London. Home to pelicans since 1664, when the first birds were gifted from the Russian Ambassador, they live on the central lake. The park is vast and beautiful. Be sure to step across the road to see the historic Royal Horse Guards, which is on the exact site of King Henry VIII’s tilting yard.
- Explore the popular London museums and art galleries - the V&A, Natural History Museum, Science Museum, National Portrait Gallery and British Museum.
- Visit Platform 9 ¾ at King’s Cross Station
- Watch the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace and stroll down Pall Mall.
- Stroll the banks of the Thames past the Houses of Parliament
- Portobello Road Market is a bustling must-see.
- Harrods is a feast for the eyes – especially the sumptuous food halls. Browse the top London shopping destinations.
- Hampstead Heath is a gorgeous London Park with fabulous views across London’s metropolitan skyline.
- Visit the BBC and watch a TV show recording – it’s free to be a member of the studio audience.
- Explore the Markets and Canals at Camden
These are just a few of the myriad of free attractions that London offers tourists. Even just heading out for a walk through the streets of London guarantees historic surprises and treasures to be found.
Best Western Palm Hotel, one of the finest hotels in North London is an ultimate choice for easy access to the best of London.