Fancy a film but don’t want to be indoors? Then book any of the hotels in hotels in North West London and head for one of London’s fantastic outdoor cinemas, which operate throughout the summer. Locations are spectacular and offer an unrivalled viewpoint of London. How about watching a film within historic palace grounds, in Royal Park, beside the lapping waters of the River Thames, or even on rooftop giving you 360 degree panoramic views of the city? Bring a picnic or buy food and drink from the onsite stalls and enjoy a full evening’s entertainment. We highlight the top five places to go.
- Top of the list has to be the Film 4 Summer Screenings. Set amid the stunning courtyard of Somerset House in the Strand, these screenings attract over 2,000 people every night. It is definitely popular! Bring a cushion because sitting on the cobbles can be a bit uncomfortable. To get the best spots, it is worth arriving early. You can sit back and enjoy music based on the film you are about to see, as well as having a picnic. There are numerous food vendors scattered around the courtyard so there is plenty of food and drink options available. And what of the films? The programme is wide ranging, and includes Inception, Labyrinth and Blue Velvet.
- Explore the programmes on offer in London’s parks and historic sites while a resident at Palm Hotel which is also one of the best wedding venues in North London. Luna Cinema is showcasing films like Dunkirk, Shaun of the Dead and Four Weddings and a Funeral within venues like Hampton Court Palace, Regents Park, Kew Gardens and Kensington Palace. Alternatively try The Nomad in Paddington Street Gardens and St Paul’s cathedral to name but two of its many venues, or Pop UP Screens showing films like Dirty Dancing and Baby Driver in a variety of parks including Corams Fields near Holborn.
- The Scoop outdoor auditorium at London Bridge City is always a popular venue. Check out the films being shown during the summer by the River Programme. These include The Greatest Showman, Moana, Into the Woods and Guardians of the Galaxy. This has to be one of the more spectacular outdoor venues given the backdrop of the Tower of London and the River Thames.
- You can also watch films on the river itself. City Cruises operate Movies on the River cruises from Tower Pier. You can enjoy a cruise along the river, while watching classic films like Jaws, Ghostbusters, Casablanca and Top Gun.
- For those who prefer rooftop venues, London has plenty to offer. Try, Lost Format Cinema, at Croydon in south London. Set on top of a car park, it offers a massive arena, a DJ, bars and street food along with an incredible variety of films. Equally worth considering is the Rooftop Cinema Club which offers screenings five nights a week at venues in Shoreditch, Tobacco Dock, Stratford and the Bussey Building in Peckham. Expect comfy chairs and wireless headphones as well as those spectacular rooftop views of London.